Monday, May 6, 2013

Chocolate Covered

Helloooo friends!! So it's time to show you my first Pinterest creation. My friend Hanna and I got the bright idea that we wanted to make something to snack on so what do we turn to?? Pinterest of course. And what do we decide to make?!

 CHOCOLATE COVERED BACON!

Yes my friends....we did it....We made chocolate covered bacon. 
The picture above is the famous chocolate covered bacon that you see on Pinterest. So heres how we TRIED to achieve that. 


Items used:
Flat cast iron skillet
2 metal spatulas
about 6 strips of bacon cut in half
about 3/4 of a cup of Hershey's semi sweet mini chocolate chips

Process:
We began by cooking the bacon in the cast iron skillet. Which doesn't seem like it would be a lot of hard work but trust me it was. I am not good at cooking bacon to be completely honest, so when I do cook it it comes out looking like a burnt ball of what appears to be bacon. With that in mind I decided to use a spatula to help it stay flat. BEST IDEA EVER! Except for the part where we both had to stand there and wait for about two half strips of bacon to cook while holding them flat with a spatula. But hey whatever gets the job done right?
So with the bacon done, it was time to melt the chocolate. I most definitely let Hanna have FULL control over this process because I always burn it! (Don't assume I'm a bad cook, I just know what I can cook and what I can't). She did a great job using the old bowl over boiling water trick, while I stood there patiently trying not to eat the crispy bacon that was waiting nearby. 
Once the chocolate was finally melted it was time to dip! Now as you see in the picture above their chocolate is all smooth and pretty looking. As I tried to "dip" the first piece it came out looking NOTHING like that. So we decided to "drizzle" chocolate on them... okay maybe I don't get the whole concept of "drizzling" anything but I plan on not drizzling again for a while. It was a mess! I would get a good drizzle going then BAM out of nowhere a big glob of chocolate would fall on my bacon. But I wouldn't let that keep me down! We kept dipping, drizzling, painting, rolling the bacon in the chocolate. And here is the end result:
Our beautifully hand crafted chocolate covered bacon! Does not look anything like the picture! As long as it tastes good right! We then stuck them in the freezer for like 5 minutes to harden a bit, told Hanna's husband and Nic (nicole) that they tasted horrible so we threw them all away and watched their faces as they looked like they just got told Santa isn't real. But once they were finished we pulled them out, looked at eachother like here goes nothin and took a bite. It was like fireworks going off in your mouth! Salty and crispy but yet sweet and creamy. The best snack ever! Well unless you're diabetic, allergic to chocolate, a vegetarian, or any other crazy thing that could keep you from enjoying this chocolate covered bliss. 

The next time we make this we are going to try peppered bacon and maple bacon. Maybe even a little bit of peanut butter on them. I'm so excited! 
Anyways! Have a good week! I will see ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment